Friday, January 18, 2013

"The Story of an Hour" reaction

The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin gave me a very different reaction from when I read The Yellow Wallpaper. When I first heard this story, I really enjoyed it. I love the language used in this story and the imagery that Chopin uses to describe situations. This is demonstrated in these sentences from the story; "Spring days, summer days, and all sorts of days that would be her own. She breathed a quick prayer that life might be long. It was only yesterday she had thought with a shudder that life might be long." (Chopin, 2). I understood the concept of this story, that Mrs. Mallard was not in grief that her husband has passed, but on the contrary, she was filled with relief and an inner joy began to burn in her and give her life. I was confused, if the previous statement is so, then why she was with her husband in the first place. I understand that this was another time and couples did not divorce even remotely to the amount that people do today, but if she was really that miserable, then I feel they would have divorced. I want to know Mr. Mallard and see what kind of man he is, to see whose fault it really was that the marriage turned out the way it did. The ending of the story was phenomenal. I loved the fact that Mr. Mallard comes home safe and Mrs. Mallard dies because she sees this. Then the doctors without any hesitation state that is must have been because she was so overjoyed, they are jokes. They look no more into the story. The sexism that is brought out in this book upsets me and makes my slightly angry. Honestly, they suppress Mrs. Mallard so much that they give her the name of a male duck and assume that she is completely and udderly in love with her husband when on the contraire, she can not wait for him to die. She needed the freedom given to her by his death and then he has to take that away and ultimately causes her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment